Beginning July 1, 2022, as part of a large network upgrade, Republic’s network provider T-Mobile is making a global change that will require all phones on its GSM network to be capable of voice calls over the 4G LTE network (VoLTE calling). The following phone models have been identified as being unable to support VoLTE calling:
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (SM-J320A)
- Huawei Ascend 5W (H1623)
What you need to do:
If you have one of the phones listed above or you received a message re your phone being impacted, your phone might not support VOLTE and you will need to replace your phone before July 1, 2022, in order to avoid disruption to your cellular service.
What you need to know:
First, check if your phone supports VOLTE by enabling it in your phone's settings. See How to Turn On VOLTE for more information. If your phone does not support VOLTE you need to replace/ upgrade it to maintain service.
You can replace your phone by purchasing a phone from the Republic Wireless online store or buying a phone elsewhere/ shopping around for a replacement
Purchase from the Republic Wireless store and upgrade to our 5.0 plan:
- Purchasing a phone from Republic Wireless requires the purchase of a 5.0 plan along with the phone and activating/ upgrading to one of our 5.0 plans.
- Your phone number will not change
Buy a phone elsewhere and keep your My Choice plan:
- If you prefer to shop around, refer to our list of compatible 3.0 phones before making your purchase.
- Your plan and phone number will not change when you replace your phone(s) with another phone from the My Choice compatibility list.
- Your current SIM card from the phones listed above can be moved to a compatible replacement phone bought elsewhere.
- Activation instructions can be found at How to Change Phones and Keep Your Number (My Choice 5.0 Plans)