This depends on a few factors. The following situations help clarify potential situations.
1. Swapping from a 1.0/2.0 phone to a 1.0/2.0 phone: Most of these phones should come with a SIM card already in the phone, so you will want to use SIM card in the new phone. If it does not please reach out to Republic Help. This is because SIM cards for these phones are specific to each phone.
2. Swapping from a 1.0/2.0 phone to a 3.0 phone: In this situation you cannot use the old SIM card in the new phone. You will need to order a SIM card from Republic Wireless or reach out to Republic Help to get a new SIM card.
3. Swapping from a CDMA 3.0 phone to a new 3.0 phone: New phones not purchased from Republic Wireless need to be activated first with our GSM cellular partner. So a new SIM card is required. You will need to order a SIM card from Republic Wireless or reach out to Republic Help to get a new SIM card. Additionally, not all phones are CDMA compatible.
4. Swapping from a GSM 3.0 phone to a new 3.0 phone: All our phones support the same GSM SIM cards so you will be able to use the old SIM card in your new phone. A GSM SIM card would need to be reused within a twenty day period or it will automatically deactivate and the SIM card would need to be replaced.
- If wanting to activate a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) it will need to be activated with a GSM SIM card: How to Bring Your Own Phone to Republic Wireless (BYOP)
- If you are uncertain if your phone is currently on our GSM or CDMA network please reach out to Republic Help
- If reaching out to Republic Help for assistance with getting a new SIM card, please provide the IMEI/MEID of the phone and a good shipping address
- How to Find the Device ID (IMEI/MEID)
Article Created From