- To reset the phone to a factory state from the external menus
- Turn off your phone
- Unplug any USB or power cables from the phone
- Press and hold both the VOL UP, POWER and HOME (BIXBY for S8 and S8+) buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release all three buttons once the Android logo appears
- The Android Recovery Menu should appear after a few seconds. Use VOL DOWN to scroll through the options to Wipe data/factory reset and press the POWER button to select it
- Use the VOL DOWN button to select Yes
- Press the POWER button to confirm
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to confirm a Reboot system now. Your phone will reboot normally
If you had a screen lock set up (pin, pattern or password) prior to performing a factory reset, you'll be asked to enter the Google email address and password associated with your phone during the setup process
An external factory reset will reset your phone to a cleared state - apps, internal memory, contacts, photos/videos, or other personal info will not be backed up or synced automatically. Any firmware updates you have installed will still be on your phone. To ensure your personal information is backed up, please refer to How to Back Up Contacts, Photos, Videos, Apps, Music, Messages, or Other Miscellaneous Files.
You must have the correct Google account login information before resetting the device. Resetting without this information puts you at risk of permanently being locked out of your device.
- Note: Do not change your Google account password for 72 hours before or after your factory reset, as it may lock you out of your phone for an additional 72 hours for security purposes.
Article Created From