- To reset the phone to a factory state while powered off
- Nexus 5X
- Nexus 6
- Nexus 6P
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel XL
- Powered off
NOTE: This reset will erase all data from the phone. See additional notes to backup data prior to the reset.
- Boot into Recovery Mode
- Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the POWER button to confirm
- Use the VOL DOWN button to select Yes and press the POWER button to confirm
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to confirm a REBOOT
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to Reboot system now
- After the phone restarts, please select Set up as new during the setup and after signing in to your Google account, to setup the phone as a new device
If you had a screen lock set up (pin, pattern or password) prior to performing a factory reset, you'll be asked to enter the Google email address and password associated with your phone during the setup process
An external factory reset will reset your phone to a cleared state - apps, internal memory, contacts, photos/videos, or other personal info will not be backed up or synced automatically. Any firmware updates you have installed will still be on your phone. To ensure your personal information is backed up, please refer to How to Back Up Contacts, Photos, Videos, Apps, Music, Messages, or Other Miscellaneous Files.
You must have the correct Google account login information before resetting the device. Resetting without this information puts you at risk of permanently being locked out of your device.
- Note: Do not change your Google account password for 72 hours before or after your factory reset, as it may lock you out of your phone for an additional 72 hours for security purposes.
Article Created From