- To reset the phone to a factory state while powered off
- Moto E2
- Moto G3
- Powered off
NOTE: This reset will erase all data from the phone. See additional notes to backup data prior to the reset.
- Power off the phone and unplug any USB or power cables from the phone
- Note: If the phone cannot be turned off, let the battery drain until the phone turns off, then charge the phone for 30 minutes and unplug any USB or power ables from the phone
- Press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons
- When START is highlighted at the top right of the screen use VOL DOWN to scroll through the options to RECOVERY MODE and press the POWER button to select
- When you see the words No Command press and hold the POWER button and tap the VOL UP button
- Note: The phone will reboot if you wait too long to make a selection
- Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the POWER button to select it
- Use the VOL DOWN button to select YES - - delete all user data
- Press the POWER button to confirm
- Note: Once formatting is complete, Data wipe complete will show in the lower-left corner
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to reboot system now
- After the phone restarts, it will take you through setup; after signing in to your Google account, select Set up as new device to setup the phone as a new device
If you had a screen lock set up (pin, pattern or password) prior to performing a factory reset, you'll be asked to enter the Google email address and password associated with your phone during the setup process
An external factory reset will reset your phone to a cleared state - apps, internal memory, contacts, photos/videos, or other personal info will not be backed up or synced automatically. Any firmware updates you have installed will still be on your phone. To ensure your personal information is backed up, please refer to How to Back Up Contacts, Photos, Videos, Apps, Music, Messages, or Other Miscellaneous Files.
You must have the correct Google account login information before resetting the device. Resetting without this information puts you at risk of permanently being locked out of your device.
- Note: Do not change your Google account password for 72 hours before or after your factory reset, as it may lock you out of your phone for an additional 72 hours for security purposes.
Article Created From