- To reset the phone to a factory state from the external menus.
- Moto E1
- Moto G1
- Moto X1
- Moto X2
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Note: A Factory Reset will erase all of your personal content from the phone. To ensure your personal information is backed up, refer to How to Back Up Contacts, Photos, Videos, Apps, Music, Messages, or Other Miscellaneous Files and Before You Perform a Factory Reset.
- Turn off your phone
- Unplug any USB or power cables from the phone
- Press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons
- The phone will display different boot options. Use VOL DOWN to scroll to Recovery and press the VOL UP key to select
Note: If you wait too long to make a selection, the phone will reboot and you will need to start the process again
- When you see the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point and the words No Command underneath press and hold the VOL UP button for 10-15 seconds. While still holding VOL UP, tap and release the POWER button
- The phone will display additional menu options, with text in blue. Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the POWER button to select it
- Use the VOL DOWN button to select YES - delete all user data
- Press the POWER button to confirm
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to confirm a REBOOT
- After the phone restarts:
- If you are selling the phone, giving it away, or returning it to Republic, the factory reset is now complete, and you can power off the phone.
- If you are factory resetting the phone to solve an issue, continue with the instructions in set up the phone with no third-party apps.
- To restore contacts, photos, and apps associated with Google, you must have the correct Google account login information. Resetting without this information puts you at risk of permanently being locked out of your phone and/or losing personal information.
Article Created From