This document provides information regarding safe mode, what safe mode does, how to enable safe mode and how to use it as a troubleshooting tool.
What is Safe Mode?
Safe mode allows you to turn your phone on without any third party apps running. Sometimes third party apps can cause freezing, incompatibility issues or may even cause the phone to restart. Using Safe Mode can help determine if the issue you're having is being caused by a third party app or a system issue.
Using Safe Mode with Republic Wireless 3.0 Phones
|Republic Wireless 3.0 Phones:||
This section refers to phones on our My Choice Plans.
Using safe mode for Republic Wireless 3.0 phones will differ from 1.0/2.0 Republic phones. Please note that the Republic Wireless application will not function in safe mode on all phones.* Any calls sent from the phone (while in safe mode) may show as originating from the underlying cellular provider.
* In order for the Republic app to work in safe mode, it must be whitelisted in the software by the original equipment manufacturer (e.g. For safe mode to work on a Motorola phone, Motorola has to whitelist the Republic app within their software for the phone).
Enable Safe Mode
Certain phones from some manufacturers may have slightly different steps to enable safe mode. If you have one of the below phones, please refer to the steps on the linked document to enable safe mode for your phone.
- How to Enable Safe Mode on Huawei Ascend 5W
- How to Enable Safe Mode on Samsung Galaxy Series Phones*
- How to Enable Safe Mode on Alcatel A30, Motorola, Nexus, and Google Phones
* Samsung phones may default any stored 'theme' or customized home launcher to system defaults while in safe mode.
Identify and Remove Issue-causing Apps
If the issue you're having doesn't happen while in Safe Mode, a third party app may be responsible for causing your issue.
The most common types of apps that can cause an issue are listed below. Not all of these types of apps cause issues, but these are the most likely culprits.
To determine which third party app is causing your issue, disable Safe Mode.
Then, uninstall each third party app one by one until the issue no longer occurs. Follow the below steps to uninstall an app.
- How to Uninstall an Application in the Google Play Store
- How to Disable or Uninstall an App from Settings
Note: If you aren't able to uninstall apps while in normal mode, you can follow the below steps while in Safe Mode as well.
Disable Safe Mode
You can disable safe mode by following these instructions: