This document is intended for Moto E (1st Gen.), Moto G (1st Gen.), and Moto X (1st Gen.) users
If your phone is running on Lollipop, you can find the instructions for a Factory Reset here: Factory Reset
Overview: A factory reset will reset your phone to a cleared state - apps, internal memory, contacts, photos/videos, or other personal info will not be backed up or synced automatically. Any firmware updates you have installed will still be on your phone.
- Before You Perform a Factory Reset
- Factory Reset Instructions
Before You Perform a Factory Reset
Since performing a factory reset will erase anything you've added to your phone, it's important to back up anything that you want to keep. Using the links below, you can learn how to back up contacts, photos, videos, apps, music, messages, or other miscellaneous files.
Back Up Contacts
The easiest way to back up your contacts is to automatically sync them to your Gmail account. Once synced, you'll be able to perform a factory reset without losing your contacts. Once you get your Gmail account set back up, your contacts will be retrieved in the People app.
If your phone has an SD card, you can also import/export contacts to and from your SD card.
For step by step instructions for both of the items mentioned above, please go to Manage Contacts (KitKat 4.4.4).
Back Up Photos and Videos
The easiest way to back up photos and videos is to automatically sync them to your Google Photos account. Once synced, you'll be able to perform a factory data reset without losing your photos and videos. Once you get your Google account set back up, you can view your photos and videos from the Photos app.
For step by step instructions, please go to Photos and Videos (KitKat 4.4.4).
Back Up Messages (SMS and MMS)
There currently isn't a way to move SMS and MMS to your computer or SD card. However, there are multiple third party apps that make it easy to backup and restore your messages. Check out this discussion in the Community for a few apps that our members found to be most reliable.
Back Up Miscellaneous Files
You may have additional files, notes, settings and music that you'd like to keep and restore to your phone when possible. If you don't have a phone with a micro SD card storage option, here are some ways you can easily store miscellaneous files:
- Google Drive
Backup files, folders, images, audio, and video to Google Drive. It's quick, easy and most of all FREE up to 15GB of storage, or you can purchase additional storage if needed.
- Move Files to or from Your Computer and Phone
Move files, pictures, music, and more to or from your computer.
- Android Backup Service
You can backup and restore your phone settings such as, wallpaper, WiFi passwords, app settings, etc using Google's Backup and Restore.
Factory Reset Instructions
If your phone is powered on and currently working
- Tap Apps.
- Tap Settings.
- Under Personal, select Backup & reset.
Note: For a full reset, make sure the Back up my data and Automatic Restore checkboxes are unchecked.
- Under Personal Data, select Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset phone.
If your phone is powered off or frozen
NOTE: Reset will require a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, charge your phone for 20-30 minutes and retry.
- Turn off your phone.
- Unplug any USB or power cables from the phone.
- Press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons.
- The phone will display different boot options. Use VOL DOWN to scroll to Recovery and press the VOL UP key to select.
Note: If you wait too long to make a selection, the phone will reboot and you will need to start the process again.
- The phone will display the Motorola logo, then the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point with the words No Command underneath. Press and hold the VOL UP button for 10-15 seconds. While still holding VOL UP, tap and release the POWER button.
- The phone will display additional menu options, with text in blue. Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the POWER button to select it.
- Use the VOL DOWN button to select YES - delete all user data.
- Press the POWER button to confirm.
- Once formatting is complete, press the POWER button to confirm a REBOOT.
- Your phone will reboot normally.
Your phone will now be in a clean state. We ask that you test your phone first before adding any apps or accounts.